"It is so good to see so many kids in church!"
This is a common reaction from people visiting ROCUMC. Several years ago, during a time of corporate prayer and visioning, we challenged ourselves to "Reach 100 youth for Christ in One Year". It was an audacious goal to say the least, at the time our youth group numbered five teens. But that was the beginning of an intentional effort to engage in the lives of our community youth and to take the Good News of Christ to them. Today, through various ministries and outreaches, we impact the lives of thousands of young people in Talbot County. It has been a remarkable journey that is far from over. In 2016, we hired a part-time Youth Pastor, Robyn Allen, and helped launch FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) clubs at the local middle and high schools. We would love for your family to come and be a part of what God is doing through ROCUMC!
Sundays at Noon - Kid's Church All youth are invited to join us for Kid's Church on Sunday's at noon on Zoom. https://ncmec.zoom.us/j/510128519 We are looking forward to seeing everyone!
Here are a few of our programs:
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) - we help sponsor the local chapter of FCA which includes and middle school and high school club in St. Michaels.
- Open Doors - each year we organize and host, with the help of area churches, county and state officials, and nonprofits, a county-wide school assembly program featuring former professional athletes who speak to the students about making wise decisions and provide hope. This event also includes a family night of games, food and fun.
- Annual Lock-In – an annual event that attracts approximately 30 children a year. They stay up all night in the church loaded on sugar and raising money for a great cause. The help raise money for Lunches for Learning.
- B.U.G. Club (Buddies Under God) - our teen youth group organizes and runs a monthly parent night-out. Little kids are dropped off for two hours on a Friday night to enjoy games, snacks and a lesson...while the parents take a break!
- Kids Church – before the sermon the children are excused to go to the classrooms for age-appropriate discussion and message. The one exception is during the first Sunday of the month when all are invited to the Lord's table as we share in Holy Communion.
- Service Learning Hours – we offer the opportunity for area school children to earn service learning hours by participating in programs organized by our volunteers. Examples include picking up trash on our roadsides and preparing sandwiches for a local bike race fundraiser.
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) - One week near the end of July/beginning of August, our church is transformed into an exciting adventure land where kids spend a week learning biblical lessons, creating crafts, playing outdoors games, singing and having a general blast.
- Ocean City Youth Rally - Every January a group of youth and chaperones descend upon the Ocean City Convention Center for a weekend of loud music, games, captivating talks and soul inspiring worship.